Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Member Profile: Luke Haynes


Luke Haynes
Los Angeles, CA 
www.lukehaynes.com
1.  Describe the work that you make: I make quilts using a traditional method of piecing with a modern twist. I pull from my architectural background and fine art training to create objects to talk about and look at. 

2.  Do you have a signature style? 
My style blends traditional methods with contemporary visuals. my style is often a very upfront figure with a more usual quilting foundation.

3.  What is your greatest accomplishment so far in the world of quilting? 
I have been shown across the world in venues that are having the conversation about art and not just quilts. Contemporary quilters and I have been able to expand our work into a dialog with the rest of the art world. 
Luke Quilt

4.  How do you work?  Do you piece, raw edge applique, fuse, glue, etc.?  Yes, I do it all.

5.  What was the turning point in your career when you knew that quilting was what you wanted to pursue?   
When I decided that I could create a business in it as well as a great opening to dialog within the world of art. 

6.  Do you enter your work in shows?  List your top 3 exhibits that you work has been shown in, and what year.
I enter exhibitions regularly. 
Brooklyn Museum in the permanent collection shown 2013-2014
Newark Museum  in the permanent collection shown Fall of 2013
American Folk art Museum  in the permanent collection shown Winter 2014

The American Context #3.  American Gothic

7.  Describe your studio space:  I have a 500 square foot open space for piecing and layout and a 300 square foot loft for the long arm and deep storage. 
8.  What are your three favorite tools in your studio?
Rotary cutter
Ruler
BERNINA sewing machine
The artist with (iconography #7). Rags to Riches

9.  What other professional organizations are you affiliated with?  none. 

10.  When did you make your first art quilt?  
2002.

No comments: