Monday, May 12, 2014

Meet Your NEW SAQA Regional Reps

Anne CopelandI've been making fiber arts since the 1980's and I do it for my own enjoyment, not in a competitive vein. I also do mixed media art and have recently been given an old counterbalance floor loom, so looking forward to learning. I run a small nonprofit, Fiberarts Connection of Southern California to provide exposure for physically challenged artists, as well as providing professional development assistance. We will have a book, Artful Alchemy: Physically Challenged Artists Creating coming out this year. I am a long-time volunteer with SAQA and find this particularly rewarding; I am so looking forward to meeting all of you and working with our new SAQA Rep team. I do some of the behind-the-scenes work, so you might not see my name too much, but I am here!  I think we are an excellent match and bring a wealth of skills to the table to hopefully enhance your membership.


Marlin Williams. I began traditional quilting in 1999, so I guess the secret must be released, I admit I am a closet art quilter, it’s true! I use photography, music, poetry, and nature as my inspiration for projects.  My most current art challenge was interpreting a hippo photograph in a National Geographic magazine, creating Read My Lips, I am Bling, and Mother Nature Speaks.  I tend to attempt more than one piece incase I like a different approach better. 
I enjoy Internet art quilt swaps with minis such as five-inch art blocks.  As a closet art quilter I can remain anonymous, but I will sign my work with a fish as a bead, button, or quilted in the project and my initials.  I participated in the Glass Gallery Quilt Exhibit when my art group recreated the Line Runs Through It work.   As art quilters, we can bend the rules.  We journey on cloth very fluidly with images in our head transferred to cloth using many forms of media.  As artists, it is not always the destination, but the journey we embrace when we create.
Time is not my friend with so many wants and not enough finished! I love to teach as much as being taught myself.  I dye wool for rug hooking, and fabric for the just in case moments.  I use beads, wool, yarn, wood, feathers, and anything else I can pick up and sew on.  Art and quilting are perfectly matched with my enthusiasm and spirit to create my own masterpiece.

No comments: