Thursday, June 13, 2013
News about the Grand Central Terminal Centennial Quilt Challenge
Dale Riehl thought the SAQA members in our region might like to know about the "Grand Central Terminal Centennial Quilt Challenge", organized by American Patchwork & Quilting magazine and The City Quilter. The immediate past, "June" issue of APQ devotes an entire page to this competition, and the just-out "August" issue has another article about this.
2013 is the 100th Anniversary of Grand Central Terminal, one of the most famous and beautiful buildings in the world. Naturally, we felt this called for fabrics to help celebrate! Consequently, we developed two designs, "Grand Central" and a complement, "GCT Constellations," both in two colorways, beige and GCT-ceiling aqua. GCT Constellations is inspired by the amazing ceiling. These mark the 8th & 9th original, New York-themed fabrics created and exclusively sold by The City Quilter. Images of the four fabrics are attached. Note that these photos don't fully capture the 24 inch repeats; nor do they adquately reflect the gold metallic that is extensively used in both designs.
So to properly commemorate one of America's most important pieces of pubic architecture, we partnered with American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, which is coincidentally celebrating its 20th Anniversary. We believe this is the first national quilt-making challenge themed on a building.
Here are the key points about the Challenge:
· Quilts can be up to 36" X 36"
· Grand Prize is $ 2,000. There are other prizes as well.
· Winners & finalists will be exhibited in Grand Central Terminal for about 3 months, starting in March, 2014. This affords a wonderful opportunity to expose quilt art to a wide public.
· APQ plans to write about the submissions & competition next year
· 25% or more of the quilt's surface must use one or more of our GCT prints.
· Submissions must be made via photographs mailed to APQ by August 21
· Up to 5 submissions per person/group. Only U.S. residents may apply.
· More details on rules, prizes, and submission details, including a submission form, will be found on our web site, Grand Central Terminal Centennial Quilt Challenge, or by using American Patchwork & Quilting's similar page, www.allpeoplequilt.com/grandcentral.
Naturally, we'd appreciate your spreading the word to others that might be interested in our Grand Central fabrics and the GCT competition. Thanks for your consideration.
The City Quilter
133 West 25th Street
New York, NY 10001