Monday, October 1, 2012

Congratulations to Carolyn Ryan!

I'm sharing my news to encourage all of you to enter your artwork in fine art shows in your area. This summer I entered a show at Studio Channel Islands Art Center in Camarillo, and was thrilled to be awarded First Place. My 36x48 inch piece, "Pre Teen, the Space Between" is hand-painted, hand- and machine-quilted and pieced.
 
This piece evolved in 2011 thanks to an invitation from the Dinner at Eight group to create an art quilt for "The Space Between" special exhibit which debuted at International Quilt Festival-Long Beach.
 
I have met many jurors of traditional fine art shows who are amazed and impressed by the complexity of what we create. The juror for the Camarillo show, Kevin Wallace, is the Director of the Beatrice Wood Center for the Arts in Ojai, California. He told me he was drawn to the texture and minimalist approach to my piece, and the sense of mystery.
Carolyn Ryan
 
posted by deborah stanley

1 comment:

Jamie Fingal said...

Congratulations Carolyn! I am so happy for you. Whoohoo!