Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Farewell and a Welcome for SoCaL SAQA Members

After nearly 3 years as our Southern California Co-rep,  Jamie Fingal is stepping down.

A Note from Jamie Fingal
“I have had the most amazing ride as one of your SAQA co-reps for Southern California, since accepting this position at the end of 2007 with my then co-rep, Connie Rohman. In reflection of my time as a Regional co-rep...I remember the beginning of our blog, informing and inviting our regional members to participate...I remember too, organizing the SAQA booth for Internation Quilt Festival in Long Beach.  This opportunity has allowed me to meet so many tremendously talented SAQA members and others.

I have so enjoyed working with Jane LaFazio and Loris Bogue - both are self-starters and have a take charge kind of attitude, which I truly appreciate.

As I take stock, at the conclusion of one of my "community" projects, and sign on for future projects, I realize that it is time for me to step down from my position as co-rep, allowing others to lead. It has been a delightfully positive experience and I thank you all for your support, patience, kindness, humor and understanding.  I look forward to working with you in the future as a SAQA member and friend.

THANK YOU JAMIE!!!! Thank you so much for all you’ve done, and we’ll miss you!

Please join us in welcoming your newest SAQA Southern California  co-rep:  Felisa Lyons
Felisa Lyons writes: I fell in love with fabric art instantly, in a college design class in 2002, when I saw Leslie Gabrielse's work.  On the way home I bought fabric and a quilting magazine and finished my first art quilt a few months later. The next year I made an art quilt for a gallery show and two art bed quilts for my girls.  While exploring new techniques and media on fabric, creating art quilts has become my favorite artistic expression.  I've been in three galleries and an International exhibition; this September I had a quilt in the "Welcome Home" project for Habitat for Humanity and my Gorilla quilt sold early in the SAQA auction.  Being a part of SAQA's Visioning Project has given me the discipline to create even more work, propelling me upwards as an artist.  I'm a member of SAQA, Surface Design Association, Women's Caucus for Art, Westside Quilters of LA and local museums.  Early morning and evenings I create fabric art, drawings or paintings, and run a business by day.  I live with my family, horses, dogs, cats and chickens in La Habra Heights and walk daily in the Wildlife Sanctuary behind our home, where I create designs and find inspiration.
Loris Bogue and Jane LaFazio
So-Cal Co-Reps

No comments: